Noted on back of this stereo view: “Ruby Camp, Colo.,” in old pen-style writing. Ruby Camp and the Town of Irwin were two townsites established in the early Ruby Mining District, just a few years after the Brunot-Ouray Treaty was implemented and the Ruffner expedition surveyed the Gunnison Country. Hand-writing similar to that of George Mellen as seen on other stereo views of the same vintage. June 1880.
Noted in old pen on back of stereo view: “The Board of Trustee and Officers of the Town of Irwin (Ruby Camp).” Circa 1880. Hand-writing similar to that of George Mellen as seen on other stereo views of the same vintage.
Noted in old pen hand-writing on stereo view: “Mellen’s Views, No. ___, Gunnison, Colo. Ruby P.O.” Gathering outside the Ruby post office and market, circa 1880. Photograph by George E. Mellen.
On back of stereo view: “Mellen’s Views of the Great Gunnison Country. Mining Camps. Shaft of Forest Queen Mine, Irwin, Colo. Gunnison, Colo. No. 81.” Circa 1881.
Building in Irwin, Ruby Mining District, Gunnison County, Colorado, circa 1879. Photograph by the Swan Brothers, with a studio in Irwin, Colorado.
Emblem of the Swan Brothers photography studio when they were located in Irwin, Colorado., circa 1879.
Back of stereo view: “Mellen, Landscape Photographer, of the Gunnison, San Juan and Ute Countries, No. 215, Snowslide Ruins Ruby Camp. Frank E. Dean, General Trade Agent, Gunnison, Colo.” Circa 1881 – 1882.
Ruby Camp, Gunnison County, Colorado, circa 1881. Colorado Views #175. Photographed and published by F. D. Storm, Denver, Colorado.
Noted on back of stereo view: “The Lake, Ruby Camp,” in the pen-writing of George Mellen, photographer, Gunnison, Colorado, circa 1880. “The Lake” became known as “Lake Brennand,” and is now known as “Lake Irwin.”
On back of stereo view: “Mellen, Landscape Photographer, of the Gunnison, San Juan and Ute Countries. Hopewell Cascade, Ruby Camp, No. ___. Frank E. Dean, General Trade Agent, Gunnison, Colo.”