Mining camp of Bowerman, Colorado
Camp was founded in the summer of 1903; interested generated by a purported gold discovery on the north fork of Hot Springs Creek, Gunnison County, Colorado, in May 1903. The discoverer: J. C. Bowerman. He and his partner, Stephen Dunn, named their mine the Independent; perhaps hoping it would be as rich as W. S. Stratton’s Independence Mine in Cripple Creek. First name of the new mining camp was, “Nuggett City,” but that was soon discarded for the Town of Bowerman.
Amid these rough structures was the Bowerman Hotel, Log Cabin Saloon, Gold Nuggett Restaurant, and the Bowerman Herald. Since there are so many tent structures in this albumen photograph, it would be safe to state that this was most likely taken sometime in late 1903. By late 1904, after no other “bonanza” mines were discovered in the Box Canon Mining District, the Town of Bowerman began to lose population. By 1906, the town was near empty.
Image dimensions: 8 inches by 6 inches
Mount dimensions: 12 inches by 10 inches
Photograph exhibits strong tones and contrasts; and, is in fine condition.
Original mount is in very good condition: some wear to edges; lower corners chipped.